The Program for Effective Reading is a digital professional development opportunity that systematically guides teachers through a structured 3-step program to develop Hebrew reading proficiency, including:
- Phonologic Awareness and Phonetic Proficiency (sound recognition and decoding)
- Precision (sound combinations and word grouping)
- Fluency (automaticity and pacing, as well as the transition from vocalized to non-vocalized texts)
The program also provides an easy-to-use diagnostic mapping tool for Individualized Learning Programs (ILP).
Program participants receive:
- 31 Asynchronous Digital Training Segments
- Membership in Facilitated Professional Forum
- Pedagogical Materials (adapted for use in Diaspora education)– 3 Workbooks, Student Activity Pages, Learning Aids
- Periodic Live Webinars – Q & A, Troubleshooting, Case Studies
Machon Otiyot was founded by Zehava Kelner in Israel to promote Hebrew reading precision and fluency. The Otiyot Medabrot program – designed by Machon Otiyot to develop reading proficiency – has been used to teach tens of thousands of students in Israel and in Diaspora schools. It is an established program with proven results based on recognized educational principles of reading development, and is approved by the Israeli Ministry of Education. Thousands of teachers have been trained in this approach through Machon Otiyot professional training programs and the Program for Effective Reading, an asynchronous digital PD program.